And The Pursuit of Happiness, Maira Kalman
- Hardcover: 480 pages
- Publisher: Penguin Press HC, The (October 14, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1594202672
- ISBN-13: 978-1594202674
Author of The Principles of Uncertainty, and illustrator of Strunk & White's Elements of Style, Maira Kalman has a new book out & is going on tour.
[This is] Kalman's yearlong investigation of democracy and how it works. Energized and inspired by the 2008 elections, on inauguration day Kalman traveled to Washington, D.C., launching a national tour that would take her from a town hall meeting in Newfane, Vermont, to the inner chambers of the Supreme Court.Fans of Kalman and lovers of quirky art books, artist's journals, and graphic novelistas will enjoy Kalman's new book.
As we follow Kalman's wholly idiosyncratic journey, we fall in love with Lincoln alongside her as she imagines making a home for herself in the center of his magisterial memorial; ponder Alexis de Tocqueville's America; witness the inner workings of a Bronx middle-school student council; take a high-speed lesson in great American women in the National Portrait Gallery; and consider the cost of war to the brave American service families of Fort Campbell, Kentucky. The observations she makes as she travels charm and inform, and-as we have come to expect with Kalman-the route is always one of fascinating indirection.
Kalman finds evidence of democracy at work all around us. And the cast of characters we meet along the way is rousing good company, featuring visits from Benjamin Franklin, Eleanor Roosevelt, and many others. And the Pursuit of Happiness is a remarkable tribute to our history and a powerful reminder of the potential our future holds, from a true national treasure.
Collectors will be pleased to learn that she is currently on tour, and that signed books can be found at these locations:
Correction (and apologies to the confused book tour bloggers listed below): Signed copies, in fact, are not available at the below sites - but fabulous insight is, so please visit these folks:
- Thursday, October 14th: Suko’s Notebook
- Monday, October 18th: Rundpinne
- Wednesday, October 20th: Library Queue
- Friday, October 22nd: Chaotic Compendiums
- Tuesday, October 26th: 1330v
- Wednesday, October 27th: Daydream Believer
- Wednesday, November 3rd: sfgirlbybay
- Thursday, November 4th: Eleanor’s Trousers
- Wednesday, November 10th: Til We Read Again
- Thursday, November 11th: Booksie’s Blog
- Monday, November 15th: Books Like Breathing
- Wednesday, November 17th: Sophisticated Dorkiness
- Thursday, November 18th: Joyfully Retired
- Friday, November 19th: Drey’s Library
- Friday, November 19th: Nonsuch Book
(Thank you to Susan from Suko's Notebook for bringing this to my attention)
I did, however, find two events in which Ms. Kalman and/or her signed books might be found:
Kalman's books consistently list above the $100 range, signed. Her earlier, and more rare, (unsigned) works list for up to $2,000+ in fine to as-new condition.
- Julie Saul Gallery, October 30th from 4 to 6 p.m. is holding a raffle to benefit Alice Water's, The Edible Schoolyard:
- 1st Prize: Maira Kalman Cherry Pie gouache painting
- 2nd Prize: Chef for a Day. An afternoon cooking with the Chef at Chez Panisse in Berkeley followed by a dinner for two in the kitchen
- 3rd and 4th Prizes: Signed copies of Maira Kalman And the Pursuit of Happiness and Alice Water's new book In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart
- $50 donation per ticket, 500 tickets, limit 2 tickets per family. Winners will be notified by November 5th.
- Click here to make your donation and enter the raffle.
- Barnes & Noble, Lincoln Triangle, NY; Ms. Kalman is scheduled to appear November 1st at 7:30 p.m.
Some of her other titles include:
Find out more about Maira Kalman at her Web site, and on her Blog.
Labels: And the Pursuit of Happiness, art book, Hypermodern collectible, Illustrated novel, Illustrator, Maira Kalman