Dipping...

I have a set of blogs that I troll on a weekly basis, partly because I quite enjoy them, and partly because they shine light on different genres of book collecting in which I am less schooled. As of late, more and more of these blogs have been mentioning collecting comics and graphic novels.

I know this genre is wildly popular, (I even, although briefly, owned a first printing of Neil Gaiman's Sandman, and not knowing what I had at the time, I gave it to a friend) but I have never quite gotten into it. Lately, however, I'm feeling a bit comic-curious, so...

Here are some interesting mentions from the blog-osphere as of late:

Oxen of the Sun: in a February 3rd post talks about B.u.L.B. Comix limited edition miniature books. This Swiss publisher prints comics and limited editions of miniature books illustrated by different artists. 

Of note is their "2W" series: 26 lettered sets, each featuring 5 artists [View here]. Sets are 15 Francs each & it looks like all but 'Set A' are still available.

As a printmaker and book artist, I find these awfully compelling. And the fact that they're in miniature is just magnetic.

The New York Times ran an article on Sunday about the Fables series by Bill Willingham and Mark Buckingham which sounds quite interesting.
The series deals with various characters from fairy tales and folklore – referring to themselves as "Fables" – who have been forced out of their Homelands by "The Adversary" who has conquered the realm. The Fables have traveled to our world and formed a clandestine community in New York City known as Fabletown. [Wikipedia]
The series was started in 2002 and has reached issue no. 125.

The Windbag Litwag (formerly The Gripping Saga of an Amateur Book Collector) posted a couple of months ago about the growing popularity of European comic artists, focussing in particular on Nine Antico

Also of interest is 10 to watch in 2013, a list of the top 10 graphic novels to be released in 2013 (from Newsarama). The list includes a new Sandman (Gaiman & Williams) to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the title's debut, and Grant Morrison's long awaited Multiversity.


Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,