Let's All Just Go to Iceland for Christmas

Can I just say, although I've never been there, I love Iceland to pieces. I love Iceland, not just for it's contribution of Bjork and The Sugarcubes; not just for their crazy, but insanely brilliant fashion, nor their astute architecture. No I love Iceland the most for its tradition of Jolabokaflod (Christmas Book Flood).
"The culture of giving books as presents is very deeply rooted in how families perceive Christmas as a holiday," says Kristjan B. Jonasson, president of the Iceland Publishers Association. "Normally, we give the presents on the night of the 24th and people spend the night reading. In many ways, it's the backbone of the publishing sector here in Iceland."

And I like this take that presents Jolabokaflod as the anti-black Friday. (Yes please). 


Labels: , , , ,